Getting started with Linux

Do you have connection issues?
Make a thread here and a staff member will be with you shortly.
Forum rules
This forum is STRICTLY for connection issues!
No in-game issues!
Nellie Bly

Getting started with Linux

Post by Nellie Bly » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Folks,

I have 18.04.2-Ubuntu and wish to play WOW on this server, and am looking for a guide to running the WOW client, launcher etc. Is there something that I have not found on this site? Has anyone gone through this process?

Hope I am not missing something, but the discord server sent me here, I searched on "Linux" and there was only one post in the search results which was directing me to post here. Thanks !!! (If it is really hopeless I'll attach another drive and dual boot to some version of Windows...)

jshady

Re: Getting started with Linux

Post by jshady » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:42 am

I know this was posted a few days ago and I just am working on possibly playing here but it should be possible to play this on ubuntu via wine. I have not done this myself however here a little guide that I hope might help you.

First we much check your graphics rendering by running in a terminal window.

glxinfo | grep rendering

If the output is No you can stop right here as without grep render supported by your graphics card in linux wow will not be possible. There are ways to fix this but I won't be covering this on this small guide.

If yes then continue on.
Next you want to Install wine from the software center. There are other method however I find this the best option for compatibility reasons and configuration issues.

Next run the following in console. (If you already have wine configured then you can skip this step.
winecfg

The next step is to force wow to use OpenGL instead of DirectX by opening config.wtf and adding or modifying.
SET gxApi "opengl"

Next you will want to run the following note wine might need to download and install additional packages which it should do automatically. Open a terminal window then run the following. You might want to write a script to do this on your desktop.

cd /path to where you have wow at/
wine wow.exe
Reason I said wow.exe and not Launcher.exe is one less compatibility issue.

While this is in no way a complete guide I hope it works for you im not sure if this will work for the cata client or not. I'm sure im missing some config settings. But running wow in linux can be challenging.